Wednesday, January 16, 2013

PR& P 2nd Week, Polka dots and Strips

 
This time I though how fun would it be to sew along with PP&R. With this week theme of polka dot and strips went right along with a dress and sweeter I have wanted to make Sweet pea for some time now that I seen on pintrest. So it is perfect timing to try it!
 
 Pinned Image
Here is the original dress. I love the white dress with a little color here and there on it. It looks so light and breezy for late spring. I had to make one too!
 
I used Oliver + S Bubble dress pattern and for the sweeter I used Oliver + S Apple picking dress pattern. I do believe that I can make anything using these patterns!
 
After I picked my patterns I had to find the right polka dot fabric and I sure wasn't going to find just what I wanted. So off to Hobby Lobby to find some light weight cotton fabric in white and some fabric markers! They had the perfect colors to make the dots I was looking for too. I had a sweater at home that I was not going to be wearing so I used this to make Sweet pea's.
 
 
 
Making the dots was super easy and fun. I washed the fabric first and cut out all my main pattern pieces before I started on the dots. All I used was the end of a new eraser, I colored it with the fabric marker and stamped the dots on randomly one color at a time. That's it polka dots done!
 
Now for the "strips" I used my sweater to make her a sweater. (I wasn't going to wear it anyway) To hold the sweater on it has a snap sewn on the inside so that it goes with all her sleeveless dress and tops. I think this would look great with all her Bubble dress!
 
For her dress I cute two (the length of the fabric) 4" strips and did a narrow hem on all sides. I then tied the bow to see how much of the actual bow strips I would need then I basted them on before I sewn the bodice together. I made the Bubble dress sleeveless instead of it having the little caped sleeves too.
 
For the skirt of the dress I added 2"s the the front and back skirts and added a 1" to the length for a narrow hem instead of making it a bubble dress. The dress is fully lined too just like the bubble dress.
 
I am very happy how it came out and so is Sweet pea too. (She thinks that there is nothing that her mama can't make) I see it being used a lot, maybe her Easter dress?
 
I finished the back of the dress with these perfectly matching buttons from my Aunt Fran. Thank you Aunt Fran!!
 
 
Here is a little look at the lining underneath. I use French seams on the skirt to make for a nice finish look. First dress of the new year checked of my list!
 
Happy Sewing!!
 
Sharon

16 comments:

  1. Clever, creative and just too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! This was really fun to make. :)

      Delete
  2. Very sweet - perfect Easter dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now just to figure out what I will be making the boys now.

      Delete
  3. Using the fabric markers was so creative! The dress looks adorable on your little sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I glad I though of them. I was going to use fabric paint but this was way easier to do.

      Delete
  4. so adorable! I am happy to have your blog since I have become recently obsessed with sewing clothes for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very habit forming sewing for the kids but so much fun! :)

      Delete
  5. Love that you made your own polka dots! Very cute dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was so much fun to make too. I don't think I would have ever found the right fabric I wanted so this way I was able to get what I wanted.

      Delete
  6. You did an amazing job copying the Zara dress. It is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a lovely set, Sharon! Clever of you to use fabric markers to get the look you wanted. I also love the little sweater.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Adorable...so sweet. And I love that you designed your own fabric!
    liZ

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments