Monday, June 24, 2013

Once Upon A Thread; Brave Emily

 
 
 
Right now over at No Big Dill she is having her Once Upon a Thread series again! Sweet pea and I both enjoy these post very much so this year I made her a dress from one of her favorite books, Brave Emily from the American Girl dolls.
 
 
Last summer Sweet pea was given several books from the Molly book series, she has had me read every book to her many times.  She loves them! She only thought that they were books until a lovely catalog came in the mail a few months ago so now she is wanting the doll too. I shouldn't have been surprised my sister loved the Molly books/doll too when she was younger.
 
 
Sweet pea asked me last summer to make her this dress from the book, such a request at 2 years old huh? At the time I didn't have a pattern in mind nor could I find fabric that would work for this either. Lucky for me that Oliver + S came out with the Fairy tale dress pattern. I knew I could make this dress with a few mods. Then while at the quilt store down town I found Riley Blake's Bake Sale fabric, score! Perfect for her dress. I had to buy 2 yards.!
 
 
My Brave Emily.
 
 
It has been a while since my Sweet pea has had a new dress, so she was very thrilled to have a new one,  one she has wanted for so long.
 
 
I even took my time and made sure that the back scallops matched up. :-D Although the piping on them was a bit of a pain.
 
 
This is one of our most read books in our house. I had so much fun sewing this and she sure is having fun playing in her dress.
 
 
What books  do you enjoy reading with your children?
 
Sharon
 
 
linking to 125

16 comments:

  1. Oohing and ahhing here too! The dress is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! She keeps twirling around the house in it. I can tell this is going to be a favorite of hers.

      Delete
  2. The dress is a beautiful recreation! I am sure your Sweet Pea is thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure is! Now she keeps asking were her doll is...maybe she'll get one from Santa. ; )

      Delete
  3. Wow, that is gorgeous!! It is so pretty and just like Emily's. Do you mind sharing where you found the pretty fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was so afraid that I wasn't going to get eh scallops right but they came out pretty good I think. I found the fabric at a local store but it should be online in several places, it's Riley Blake's line in Bake Sale. It's on their online shop there too.

      Delete
  4. It's a gorgeous dress, Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am very happy how it came out. : )

      Delete
  5. It is a beautiful dress, Sharon - something to keep for always

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will, she was so happy to have her dress from her book. I hope that this is one that she will remember me making for her.

      Delete
  6. Well done on the dress, it is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I couldn't be happier with it.

      Delete
  7. *Gasp* Look at all of that perfect red piping! It is just fantastic, Sharon! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That piping was a bit of pain but so worth it in the end, Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Wow!
    Another stunning dress, Sharon! Love the red accents!
    She looks adorable and so sweet (and brave, of course) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaww, thanks! The colors in her dress just happen to all my favorites. : )

      Delete

I would love to hear your comments