Thursday, May 29, 2014

Some of My Favorite Sewing


Believe it or not some of my favorite sewing if for my boys. I love it when the older ones ask by request for a particular pattern to be made in a certain fabric. It makes me feel so good that I am able to make them clothes that they want wear. It's even better when they turn out as planed too.  

This outfit was suppose to be for Garrett's birthday this past winter but wasn't sewn together. ( I was feeling pretty sick at the time) He had a play at school on Tuesday so I thought how great would it be if I sewn it together for him, no time like the present right?

The shirt is a classic Oliver + S Sketchbook shirt. I have made over 20 of these babies and still counting! Keep in mind though that I am sewing for four sons. This pattern is a staple in our house! I think this is the best one I have sewn so far. I still think the collar is as fiddly as the first time trying it but this one I am quite pleased with.  The pants are the Field Trip Cargos minus the cargo pocket on the sides. I think they look more like dress-up pants this way. I adore all the top stitching on these too. It gives them a more "professional" look to them I think.  

Yep, I totally love the stitching on these!






I did put the elastic up a bit in the waist of the pants so I could later let it out for growing room. Garrett does not like anything lose fitting in the waist at all so this way makes us both happy. The shirt I added 3" to the length and I did change the pocket shape as well. Wyatt was already eyeing this outfit too. (It's nice that the two middle boys wear the same size) I have four more pairs of cargos on a "back to school" sewing list for these two boys for the coming fall. 






Garrett couldn't be happier. : )


Sharon



10 comments:

  1. That is a great outfit. And your son is adorable. I never think I want to make boy clothes but then when I am doing it, I do really enjoy it. And my son really appreciates it too. I don't have the pants pattern but I will think about getting it for the fall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either but now I ma enjoying more than sewing for girl, I guess because it is more straight forward sewing. You really should try the pants pattern , it's terrific! I am wanting to make some for my baby too but have not got around to yet.

      Delete
  2. His outfit looks professionally made and Mr. G looks positively spiffy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb! It was a real treat to sew and seeing how happy he was with it makes it even better.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous Sharon, Have you seen my Sketchbook tute? I have an easy peasy way to get the collar to fit.
    Good on you sewing for your boys.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicole! Yes I sure have! The smaller sizes are easy peasy but I always find the bigger sizes, 6 and up, to be a fiddly. Maybe I am being picky bout the way it looks when it done though. Practice does make perfect. ; )

      Delete
  4. I know what you mean about sewing for boys - the clothing tends to be more basic, but the details like topstitching really shine. I love the feeling of accomplishment I get after sewing a really nice, solid, good looking, boys' garment. It's the best! This shirt and those pants are just impeccable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think all the stitching is so relaxing and he sewing is very straight forward, I getting to where I really enjoy it! (which is a good thing with four boys!)

      Delete
  5. Garrett looks so spiffy in his new outfit! You did a fabulous job on the shirt.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The trousers do look different without the pockets, very smart. I love that shirt too. Glad you finally got it sewn up!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments