Sunday, May 11, 2014

Time For Summer, Sewing with Some Free Patterns


School lets out for the summer here in four short weeks and the weather is starting to turn lovely. With the older boys being out of school so soon I really would love to have all my kids clothes sewing done before then so what a better way than to start on than a lovely summer dress?! Sweet pea really needs some new dresses too, she has grown so tall over the winter. She is in love with dresses and who could blame her? I love to wear my sun dresses too, way better than pants. So first up was this Picnic Dress. I used a small scrap of fabric left over from her other Strawberry dress. (Oopps, I have forgotten to blog about that one! I will later this week!) It was maybe a yard with some other pattern pieces cut from it. I squeezed the pattern pieces on this baby and got all but one of the inside facing pieces out of this, yep I am that good. ; )


It his made out of strawberry briar rose fabric so you know she loves it! She was twirling around all da in this dress. I used some of the pink/white whipstitched piping on the bodice of this too. It was a easy quick sew, much like that of Oliver + S popover sun dress. The other great part of this dress? It was a free pattern from the Cottage Mama. You can find it over here on her blog too if you want to make one for yourself.


Here is the second part of her new outfit! Since she loves to wear dresses and plays pretty hard outside I thought it would be a great idea to make her some shorts to go under her dress this spring and summer. I notices that Oliver + S came out with a new free pattern, the Sunny Day shorts, they were perfect for this! I sized down one size since I used a knit fabric. I am in the works on making my four boys some pj's bottoms form this very same pattern too. The pattern size range is 6m to 12 boys! That's is terrific for me, all my kids can have a pair apiece. (The Picnic dress only comes in four sizes) I can see me getting a ton of use of the Sunny Day Short pattern already. I want to make Sweet pea some pj bottoms too but on her I plan on adding ruffles to the pants legs hem. I am going to make her two more knit pairs to go under her dresses once I can find my other box of fabric in the barn.....I know it's in there somewhere.....


She is pretty happy with this dress, I just might have to make her one more this next week.


Here is a close up of the piping, I just love this stuff! I need to order some more very soon. They come in all different colors.



I am also working on Caspian's 2nd birthday party sewing as well. (Yipes he is almost two?!?) I am making him and Sweet pea matching outfits this year. I could resist. Her dolly Ella will even have a matching dress. So plenty to work on for me this week! I am really enjoying it too. : )

Happy Sewing!

Sharon











4 comments:

  1. Our babies are almost two!!???!!! And Sweet Pea is looking so grown up these days. Time flies! I love this dress - it looks so light and breezy! And when I saw the freebie o+s patterns, I immediately thought about doing them in knit - you beat me to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard to believe is it not?!? How did they grow so quickly? The shorts are a great pattern in knit, oh so quick to sew! You'll love them. I madethe boys all pj shorts as well, fabulous pattern!

      Delete
  2. That dress is precious on her! I love how swingy this dress is and the ruffle on the bottom. Great idea to use knit to sew up the shorts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It such a girly girl dress, she loves it so much. I am thinking of making her at least one more when I can find the fabric in my stash...not really sure what box I am packed it in now but I do know it's there somewhere! She loves the shorts just as much, she shows them to everyone. : )

      Delete

I would love to hear your comments