Thursday, September 4, 2014

Corduroy, Cotton and knit for Fall




Sweet pea and I have more recently found this very inspirational little girl clothing website, Chasing Fireflies. She loves to look at all the pretty outfits online and in the catalogue.  This outfit pictured below is one of the outfits that she really liked and had to have mama make her. Lucky for me Ellie Inspired came out with a pattern so very similar this past month that worked out perfectly!



For her skirt I used the "School Days skirt" pattern with a few mods. The waist band in the pattern calls for one piece to be cut, I changed this to a four pattern piece part. All I did was dived the measurements by two and add seam allowance to only one side. (The side that would have been sewn has it in there still)  I made the waist band pieces 4 1/2" inched log as well to get this look. Next is to cut the front waist band down to size for a flat front. For this juts measure the waist line and dived that by half and add in your seam allowance. Cut two front and two back pieces, two for main and two for lining. The two sections on the main side is to put the big bow that ties at the back of the skirt. I then cut out the next two fabrics out according to the width of the first ruffle on the skirt.  I also added in flat 1" piping between the cotton and corduroy layers as well and finished it off with w yellow bias bow. (thank you so much Shelley for the advice!!)






I made shirt using the "The Sleepy bear pj's" pattern. I made  a size 4 with a size 6 length for her to tuck the shirt in easier. The only mods made to the top pattern was making it long sleeves and making it a rounded neckline, oh and I added a bias to the neck line instead of the ribbing. I did make the sleeves a little long but Sweet pea grows so quick that this will fit her much longer.






The skirt is full for lots of twirling too. See the two bows?! These are her favorite part of the skirt. This is one of those if she puts it on, she starts to dance outfits. haha!






This is my favorite part of her outfit, the shirt! It's made with an embroidery white knit. I had enough left over to make a matching head band. That was so quick and easy to sew too. I most of it on the serger.  



Here is the lovely back bow. I am thinking Sarah needs a pettie skirt to go under her skirt to give it some more "puff". She will need one for her costume this year anyway so why not make it sooner than later. When did her hair get so long too?!?I was going to have it cut this summer but she doesn't want it short so we let it grow some more.



I would say fall sewing is off to a great start! I have pretty much all of Sarah's sewing done, other than three pairs of pants and Jacob's is all done. Yep, I think I am back to sewing full swing now!


Happy Sewing!!

Sharon



6 comments:

  1. It's so lovely Sharon!
    She looks straight out of a fairy-tale book - such a precious princess :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She has some lovely taste in clothes, I hope she stays this way. :-)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous outfit! The skirt is fabulous. Perfect for a girly girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! She knows what she likes and it happens to pink and twirly!

      Delete
  3. She is so adorable. I love the skirt especially the bow. The bow is fantastic. I am impressed you have all your fall sewing done. I have all mine done for now I guess because I have to move on to Halloween costumes but I only sewed Stella two outfits. Hopefully I can do more in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been the first year ever for me! I think I am getting more organized in my old age. I just started this week on my five kids costumes. Sarah can not seem to make her mind up so that one will be more last minute sewing. What costumes are you making this year?

      Delete

I would love to hear your comments