Monday, July 27, 2015

The Bitty Beatrix Blouse: A Tutorial on how to add a center panel


A new favorite pattern of ours if the Bitty Beatrix Pattern form Grammies Dolls. This is our second one to date and we have a third planned as soon as our fabric arrives in the mail. This top is made after another my daughter seen and loved so we made our version of it. I though I would share today on how we added the center panel to the bodice. (It is so easy to do too!)


First, of course, print your pattern. Then you need to two front pattern pieces. I angled mine but not as much as the neck line. Draw a line on where you want your angle at. 


Then cut the two pattern pieces apart. Also be sure to mark on the "side" panel where the "center" panel came up to. 


Then add your seam allowance back in when you cut out your fabric pieces. (This pattern is 1/4") (Please ignore the missed spelled Hear for here, lol. To my defense I was helping children with spelling words at the same time so I used the wrong word.) 


Then sew the center panel to the side panels with a 1/4" seam and press the seam towards the side panels. Sew the rest of the pattern as directed. **A side note, when sewing the lining to the front bodice be sure to pivot the needle on the seam line of the center/side panels.** I also added a full skirt to mine as well so I would only have to cut one boarder piece. To do this just shorten the back bodice piece to the length as the lining bodice piece. (Really just use the same pattern piece for both is what I did, easy peasy) 


I also added a bias bow to the bottom bodice. I cut my bias 1 1/4" then pressed it in double bias fold and stitched the outer side. (I forgot it at first until Sweet pea asked me where it was, oopps!)


She loves this top more than the original one, mostly because of a pink elephant on the center front. It pairs so nicely with her O+S Badminton skort as well. Well both of them really. I have a new pair of bottoms that matches this top perfectly but I can't show you just yet. ;-)  


I love the bodice of this top and how it gives it a high/low look to the skirt portion. 






One more mix and match outfit for school done! I have a few more things on our list before I am all done but I am almost there. 


Happy Sewing!! 

Sharon 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, it's absolutely adorable (and very clever!)!
    Obviously, now I can't wait to see the matching bottom :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments